Monday, January 25, 2010

From California to Alabama. I can be home.





It's been a week since I have been back from California. It was two years ago the last time I visited the city by the bay. Haven't really had a chance to think about my trip since I got back, but tonight, as I was driving on my way home from work, I was talking to a friend who's thinking about moving back to Calfornia. He was enumerating some cities that he's thinking of moving to. I've been to several of them...They're all nice, desireable places to live. Cities that are close to San Francisco.
Needless to say, my initial reaction was to feel a bit envy. I wanted it to be me. To have the flexibility of being able to just pick up and move to wherever I want to.
I started to think about all the good things that I had done while I was there for a short period amount of time--the city lights, the night life, people from all over the place/world, mix cultures, ethnic restaurants, diverse crowd and unique venues and places that I went to. Wish I could sit down at Starbucks in downtown Palo Alto again, have that coffee with my friend while people watching and admiring the city. Just being in a predominently liberal population (don't stone me for this)city feels natural to me. I didn't want to leave...As I stopped paying attention to what my friend was saying...my mind drifted off to thinking about California for a brief moment.
As I was gathering my thoughts, a sudden realization smacked me right on the face..I thought to myself as I was looking around--there are things to appreciate and beauties around here, too. The southern charm for instance. But I haven't really given it a chance before because I was soo busy day dreaming and allegorizing where I live (Alabama) to California--a place that might not even be very suitable for me and my current situations.....( A mom who heartedly believe in family value).
People need to let go of their pre concieved notions because there's plenty of amazing things to appreciate here in Alabama...It doesn't have to be the hip coffee shop on the University strip in downtown Palo Alto, the over price housing market, the overprice consumer service and goods, the fast paced lifetyle etc..
It might not be the most fancy, "crunk" city in the world, however, it has a lot of good values, family simple life that most places do not have. You can find it here if you open your heart to the little things. Southern hospitality--it is nice. I've never felt that kind of warmthness anywhere else.
So there I was- -having an epiphany. This place is beautiful. This place had been very good to me. Granted that this is where most of my major life changes occured, so many good things has happened here for me too. So many memories to treasure here. And for now, it might not be CA but this is where I am. It's my home. There's no need to fight where I'm destined to be. Whether that be temporary or permanent..I should live in the moment and stop longing to be somewhere else.
Come to think about it, perhaps it's the superficial lifestyle and culture that I'm really missing. I won;t even elaborate this one. It'll take me all night.

I've gotten several blessings while I'm here and they continue to come. It is now time to give back, to appreciate, to stop looking back and to fully submerge myself to accepting that I am HERE. Make the best of it. The concept is not about which state you should live to define happiness and find success. These things can be achieve anywhere ..whether I live in the city by the bay or in my sweet-home-Alabama, it is in me to find those little things and carve my own destiny, satisfaction and a place to call HOME.
That's my thoughts for tonight. Too much random babble but it feels good to write.

Anyway, here's pictures from my CA trip...Oh yea..I also cut my hair shorter while I was in CA. Ekkk!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment